Sunday, October 24, 2010

There's ONE head and there's ANOTHER! SAY WHAT!??!

When I found out at 18 1/2 weeks, through a routine ultrasound, that I was pregnant with not one baby but TWO, I was shocked.  But a part of me should've known that something was up.  For the first 4 months of pregnancy, I was so sick.  And so exhausted all of the time. I'd fall asleep in the middle of a conversation with my mom. (lol)  I found out that one of the babies was a girl (Baby A later named Marissa), but baby B had it's legs closed and wouldn't let us see what sex it was.  I already had three children at home. And also at the ultrasound with me.  They of course were very happy.  Jennifer,7, Kristina, 5, and Ryan, 3, were very excited when they heard that there were two babies inside of mom's belly. 
But... Right away something concerned the ultrasound technician, but she wouldn't tell me. It was later that day, with an appointment with the midwife that it was revealed that my babies had cysts on their brains.   I later met with a genetics counselor, where she said that my babies had a 1-5% chance that my babies would be born with Trisomy 18.


I then talked to the high risk doctor (Dr. Peck), who said that I should have an amniocentesis. I told him ,No, that I would not risk having my babies miscarry.  That if there was something wrong with them, that we would deal with it later.  The doctor was upset with me for not having the amniocentesis , but I didn't let it bother me.

When I had another ultrasound at 28 weeks, it was shown that the cysts had dissipated from the babies brains, but there was one a cyst in Baby A's (Marissa) abdomen about 2 inches wide.  It was shown that it was on her ovary.  I also found out that Baby B was a girl. So twin fraternal girls.  I decided on the names Marissa Elizabeth, and Caitlyn Sara. 





Me pregnant with my fraternal twins, Marissa and Caitlyn at my baby shower--  36 weeks along

My mom, Irene, checking out two identical girls outfits that I rec'd at my baby shower.   (She passed away in January 2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment